How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11265
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear sir, we rented out a residential property to a mother

This answer was rated:

Dear sir,

we rented out a residential property to a mother with two dependents . She is going through a divorce. A 12 month short assured Tenancy agreement was entered into .
She was the tenant from hell, and we just wanted her out as she was causing problems for out other tenants and putting us in very embarrassing positions with our good neighbors.
The environmental health officer had chased her in every possible way as she would not dispose of her household waste in the proper manner . She would even deliberately scatter her waste on the grounds /driveway to irritate tenants , neighbors and landlord. The EHO has tried everything to get hold of her and she simply will not answer the door .
On Friday night we were called to inform us the property had been broken into . We attended and made contact with the police . The police informed us that to make the property secure again which we did . (temporary Job)
There was no electricity or gas and she still had clothes and personals belongings there. Mostly a lot of rubbish but still some of her belongings. It is clear she is not living in the property and using it as a postal address and comes and picks up her mail. We have changed the lock on the property and informed her via email of the situation .
Please advise when we can start to clear out the property if she chooses not to return . what steps should we do to safe guard our position as she is a dangerous individual. The rent is paid up to the end of the month (approx) from the council.
The police made attempts to contact her and she would not respond . We sent her an email last night which we have copied for your information .
many thanks .
Thank you for your question.

Technically you have to give her a key if she asks for it. However, you should immediately raises proceedings for recovery of possession of the property based on anti social behaviour grounds.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you