How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11123
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mum took out life-rent and my brother was named as Fee,

This answer was rated:

My Mum took out 'life-rent' and my brother was named as Fee, in 1996.
Mum left the small property and came to live with me 18months before she died.
I am her sole executor, should I had included the house in Mum's estate as "gift with reservation" to my brother and what about the contents please?
Thank you for your question.

No, the house was transferred in 1996 so it no longer formed part of your mother's estate and the liferent was extinguished by her death.

The contents should be put on the estate inventory. If there is anything of value you can get an auctioneer to value the contents. More normally you would just put in your own estimate, typically £3000-5000 for average furniture and contents.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you