How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11148
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I split up with my partner 7 months ago.We had lived together

This answer was rated:

I split up with my partner 7 months ago.We had lived together in my house.I bought the house before we met and lived in it for 2 years before meeting my now ex partner.We have an almost 2 year old son.She has now rented a house and lives there with our son.I pay maintenance monthly.
On a couple of occasions she has appeared in my kitchen and refused to leave.What can I do if she does this again?Can I call the police?
Thank you for your question.

She has no right to be in your house as she has no occupancy rights. Unfortunately the police won't want to get involved as they will consider it a "civil matter". So your only alternative is to get a court order from the civil court. That will cost you a lot of money, however, in the first instance get a solicitor to write her a letter warning off from coming to your house without your permission.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.If I physically eject her from my house is that a wise move or could I be accused of assault?

You don't want to get into that situation. You say she has "appeared in your kitchen". How has that happened? Change the locks. Do not let her in and do not give her access.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you