JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

Hi, Fell behind with my VAT payments for my business (partnership).

Fell behind with my VAT payments for my business (partnership). I owe HMRC £6700. They called me last week (Tuesday) and told me they were sending it to Summary Warrant. I have almost got all the funds to clear the debt. How long before the sheriff officers knock on my door? I really don't want them here! Since HMRC told me they were sending it to Summary Warrant I have paid them £2800 towards the debt.
Thank you for your question.

If they are only just sending it then you have about 14 days whilst its at court and about another 14 for them to send it out to sheriff officers you have about a month, in my experience. That may be more or less of course and you can always ask them to hold off on the basis that you have made a substantial payment and are going to be able to clear most of it very quickly.

Happy to discuss further.

I hope this helps. Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your help. I hope to have the debt cleared this week.