How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11551
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Aliment - Does an Open University course where the son is undertaking

This answer was rated:

Aliment - Does an Open University course where the son is undertaking 16 -18 hours of study a week qualify as full time education under the Family Law Act?


Concerned that ex wife is manipulating the position to maximise on current aliment agreement for full 18 - 25 period.

Thank you for your question.

The Act doesn't make reference to full time. It refers to reasonably and appropriately. So you have to determine if its reasonable and appropriate in terms of the course he's doing, whether he already has a qualification and what good this course will do him. Also is he working to support himself as well? If not why not if the course is only part time?

There may be more factors like this whereby you can determine if this course is reasonable and appropriate.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you