Scots Law

Scottish Law Questions? Ask a Scots Lawyer

Scots Law

I have been trying to sort out matters to pay off my ex however

I have been trying to...

I have been trying to sort out matters to pay off my ex however her solicitor is a bit of a fraud and I am wondering if I can take him to court for this matter below this is the letter I received off my solicitor today but hes kind of sayin that the other solicitor has been doing things behind my exes back without her permission and this is to try and get more money out of me so I am feeling seen off by her solicitor. first of all the offer was £12000 to pay her my solicitor advised me not to and offer £10000 then that was refused and then it went upto £15000 but it turns out she had no say in this so this Fat Jabba of a solicitor has took it to £15000 and I agreed because I cant be arsed with the stress. I received the below email letter from my solicitor today and his words ahave angered me because to me it looks like her solicitor was playing a dodgy game to get more money etc.............. can I take him to court for anything?? Dear ME, TRANSFER OF TITLE – I apologise for not getting back to you sooner but I had spoken to XX XXXX a couple of months ago at which point he gave the impression that the deal to transfer the house was off and his instructions from Simone were to press on and get the house sold. I did think it was a bluff on his part and held off doing anything and that has turned out to be the correct action because I now have a letter from XXXXX confirming that they have backed down and the transfer is to take place. It is quite clear that SHE had not been advised that the threat was to sell the house and had agreed the £15,000. In the circumstances I have therefore confirmed matters with Another SOLICITOR who will now deal with the transfer of title and I have written back to XXXXX to confirm that matters can proceed on that basis. I had previously made it clear to XXXXX that you were not prepared to pay all the expenses that were being sought from you, as I indicated to you in my e-mail of 8th May and have therefore replied in similar terms to previously so that matters can now be sorted out. I apologise for not getting back in touch with you sooner but I had thought that the better action from your point of view was to hold off to avoid the threat of the sale of the house as I had a distinct feeling that XXXX was trying to move matters in that direction whereas SHE was perfectly happy with the agreement that had previously been reached. As I have indicated, I have reported to Another solicitor who will now be able to progress matters with the transfer of title and I presume that you have your mortgage funding in place for that. Kind Regards,

7/18/2013
JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Thank you for your question.

What is the amount now proposed and has your wife agreed to that albeit in retrospect?

Is there any Minute of Agreement in place yet?

Its now £15000, Im actually in Qatar just now til 2nd august so the final matters is going to be left to another solicitor to get it finalised and I just transfer the money cus I just want it over with its been going on for over a year so I just want the house signed in my name that is what the payments for and although she was my ex girlfriend she didn't pay a penny but we have a son together so cus we lived together its come to this so I have to pay her something................. her solicitor can be really pushy and has now cost me more money but hes lied and been deceitful as the letter I gave you states what hes done from another solicitor.

This is the actual letter don't worry about the names -

Dear XXXXX,

XXXXXX XXXXXX

TRANSFER OF TITLE – JOHN STREET

I apologise for not getting back to you sooner but I had spoken to XXXXX XXXXX a couple of months ago at which point he gave the impression that the deal to transfer the house was off and his instructions from XXXXXX were to press on and get the house sold.

I did think it was a bluff on his part and held off doing anything and that has turned out to be the correct action because I now have a letter from XXXXX confirming that they have backed down and the transfer is to take place. It is quite clear that XXXXXXX had not been advised that the threat was to sell the house and had agreed the £15,000.

In the circumstances I have therefore confirmed matters with XXXX XXXXXXX who will now deal with the transfer of title and I have written back to Boyles to confirm that matters can proceed on that basis.

I had previously made it clear to XXXXX XXXXX that you were not prepared to pay all the expenses that were being sought from you, as I indicated to you in my e-mail of 8th May and have therefore replied in similar terms to previously so that matters can now be sorted out. I apologise for not getting back in touch with you sooner but I had thought that the better action from your point of view was to hold off to avoid the threat of the sale of the house as I had a distinct feeling that XXXXX XXXXX was trying to move matters in that direction whereas XXXXXXXX was perfectly happy with the agreement that had previously been reached.

As I have indicated, I have reported to XXXX XXXXXXX who will now be able to progress matters with the transfer of title and I presume that you have your mortgage funding in place for that.

Kind Regards,

XXXXX XXX

Ive kept all the letters on my email if you require more

RH

The colourful Billy Boyle....!

I understand your anger but you have no recourse against the solicitor directly just because he went out on a limb for his client. There is no solicitor client relationship between you and him or any other contract that you can sue on.

If there is no written Minute of Agreement then you can argue that you were misled and are no longer agreeing to that figure and will not sign any deed on that basis.

Of course you might run up additional fees arguing over it all and you will have to consider your position on a commercial basis too.

Happy to discuss further.

can u remove names ive just realised this is online ?

No, I have to ask the site moderator to do so.
JGM
JGM, Solicitor
JGM
JGM
JGM, Solicitor