How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11550
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi my partners ex has just stopped him seeing his girls. He

Customer Question

Hi my partner's ex has just stopped him seeing his girls. He has had regular contact but this has gradually been reduced by her since our relationship started 12 months ago. I gathered information about family mediation for him and he went for an intake appointment. She refused to go despite him offering to pay her fee. Lawyers are so expensive and already for one consultation and 1 letter we have been billed for £180 plus vat. Is there a cheaper method seeking legal assistance and can he apply direct to the courts. They were never married, his name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificates however one of the children was born pre 2006. He has not had contact now for 3 weeks. As an adult he is distressed by this and has never been this long without contact so is genuinely concerned about the emotional impact on his girls. Any advise would be appreciated.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Your partner has parental rights in relation to his younger daughter and would have to apply for parental rights for the elder. In both cases he will have to apply to the court for a contact order. The court will grant this on the assumption that there is no genuine reason why it should not be granted.

In the absence of cooperation from the other party there is no other option.

The problem is that he will have to incur the costs of instructing a solicitor unless he knows how to draft the various papers required to initiate the action. I can provide a style of Initial Writ for him to use were he to want to draft the thing himself and give an indication as to the procedures but he will have to read the rules of court and understand the various procedures as without a solicitor he will have no one to help him. Although I am always on line to answer questions as and when they arise.

Let me know if you would wish to consider this option.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if I can assist you further. Otherwise I would be grateful if you would leave positive feedback on the system so that I am credited for my time.