How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 11147
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

problem with fellow director

This answer was rated:

I am director of a company where I also own 50% 0f the shares. My partner is refusing to give me access to the company bank account or any of the transactions he has made. Where do I stand?

What are my legal rights as a director. Can I contact the bank directly? Can I wind business up if he refuses?

Thank you for your question.

You are entitled to the information you seek and can ask the bank for copies of statements etc.


Your ultimate remedy is to threaten to go to the court for an order to wind up the company on the ground contained in the Insolvency Act 1986 that it is just and equitable to do so. That ground is generally used where there is a dispute between the members of a company or where one party needs a liquidator to scrutinise the way the company has been run.


Happy to help further. Note that the mere threat of this is often enough to bring an errant director to the table and cooperate.

I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.

JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


The feedback is very useful thank you.


I have one more question in relation to the bank.


Can I ask the bank to stop any more transactions going through without both of our signatures?


Thanks again.

You can ask. It depends on the mandate they hold and also which bank it is. If you ask them to do this they will wish written confirmation so you should go to see the bank and discuss this with them. Generally a bank will act on the instruction of a director, member or partner as regards signatories.