Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

I have a 12 year old daughter living with her mother in Scotland.

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old daughter living with her mother in Scotland. I had an arrangement with her mother when I was living in England to pay 100 pounds per month. When she stopped letting me see my daughter I stopped these payments. I returned to NZ to keep my residency. I have a small freehold 1 bedroom unit and live off the state pension which is about 175 pounds per week. This is my only income. I'm 67 years old.
I received a letter from her solicitor asking for maintenance payments to be resumed which I would like to do. Now that I'm living in NZ and with little chance of returning to the UK to see my daughter, what should I do. Since I stopped the payments two years ago I have put aside this money in an account for my daughter.
After my daughter was born and for some time after I contacted the CSA about making payments but they said they could do nothing till they heard from the mother which never happened? Later I sent a parental agreement form for her to sign but this was rejected outright.
There is little possibility for me to see my daughter, but how, and what arrangements can I make about payments and what should I pay? Should I go through mediation. through mediation?
At the moment I have email contact with my daughter and often send her money for clothes and pocket money, but there is no arrangement for this.

Yours sincerely, John.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Were you subject to the the CSA jurisdiction you would have to pay £104 per month.

Mediation is not an option as you are not available. This should be a negotiation between you and the solicitors with a view to entering into a contract.

What do you want to happen?