How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Knox Your Own Question
John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  Solicitor and Advocate
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
John Knox is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

have split with my partner use to have access every weekend

This answer was rated:

have split with my partner use to have access every weekend now she has changed it to every second weekend without asking were do i stand

I will do my best to help you with this.

As things stand, you have an informal arrangement, which obviously relies on things being amicable between you.

If you can no longer agree, and you want more access, you are entitled to apply to the Court for a contact order which provides for, say, access every weekend. If you do that, that could make things hostile between you. I would therefore advise you to make every effort to agree things amicably before taking the step of issuing an application at Court.

Perhaps if you wrote a letter explaining that you wish to go back to the old arrangement and that, if she will not agree, you may need to apply to the Court, that would be a good first step and the hope is you could agree it.

There is no guarantee that the court would grant you access every weekend by the way.

Any further questions, please ask.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we already had an agreement for every weekend but she has decided that the money she is getting from the csa is not enough that is why she changed it to every second weekend is your answer still the same


My answer is the same in the sense that it is still much better to be amicable and to try to change her mind if you can. Better to avoid Court if at all possible. Now I see that she is perhaps reducing contact on the basis of the money, it may be that it will be difficult to persuade her. You could decide to offer her a bit more money (on an informal basis) if she will agree to every weekend.

John Knox and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you