Brevitatis Causa
Brevitatis Causa, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B (Hons) DLP
35775785

dunnottarwoods.org I reside in Stonehaven Aberdeenshire,

dunnottarwoods.org

I reside in Stonehaven Aberdeenshire, on the edge of Dunnottar Woods. The woods are owned by the Forestry Commission. Website at link above.

I would like to remove windfall tree branches to use for fuel in my home. My question is, can I do this without breaking the law?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Brevitatis Causa replied 5 years ago.
Hello thank you for your question. A tree is the property of the owner of the land where it is located. If branches fall to the ground they remain the property of the land owner. The forestry commission is the land owner and accordingly any windfall branches belong to them. To remove the windfall branches would be unlawful without their consent. However it may be that the Forestry Commission may be happy for you to remove windfall branches if you seek their prior consent. I hope that helps. Please press ACCEPT so I am credited for my time. Best wishes, Brevi.