Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

My ex husband moved to Scotland. When our son turned 17 he…

My ex husband moved to...
My ex husband moved to Scotland. When our son turned 17 he stopped paying maintenance and stated that it stated he only had to pay as per the court order despite knowing he was staying in full-time education. He will not give his address for a variation to be served nor give solicitor details to go through them. I have found an address which is likely to be him via the electoral role. Do I have to go through an agency to get a summons served and how do I find one? The local court house here said it was served through an agency but didnt know how much it would cost. I tried to find out online with no joy. My son turned 17 in July and his dad said he would put funds in his account but so far has not. My son is in the middle of his upper 6th year and intends going to university for 2-3 years.
1/12/2011
Fran-mod

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the Legal Category Moderator for JustAnswer. My job is to assist customers with pending questions for the Legal Experts here at JustAnswer.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet.

The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but delays can result depending on the number of Experts online, the question volume, and the difficulty level of the question.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

Regards,

Fran
Moderator, JustAnswer

Brevitatis Causa
Brevitatis Causa, Solicitor
Hello, thank you for your question. In circumstances like you describe it is sensible to instruct Sheriff Officers to locate your ex-husband and thereafter serve the Summons upon him personally. They should be able to locate him as they have access to many databases. A tracing agent may cost in the region of £40-60. There are many Sheriff Officers you can contact to assist you, for example Walker Love - http://www.walkerlove.com/index.asp. I hope that helps. Please press ACCEPT so I am credited for my time. Best wishes, Brevi.
Brevitatis Causa
Brevitatis Causa, Solicitor