Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

On 19/07/10 I went to see my uncle in scotland in emergency…

On 19/07/10 I went to...
On 19/07/10 I went to see my uncle in scotland in emergency (He is heart patient and had operation for his hernia) on the way back i was being stoped by dumfries police I was driving my friends car. Police stop me and i gave my friends details. But after some time i realise that i have done wrong thing so I admit that i gave wrong information.

1 At that time I was having no Driving License(License was being revoked by Hartleepool majisterate court due to previous conviction which i don't know)
2 I had insurance.

About the Revokation of my license I made the apeal in Hartlepool court which i won and court said they have removed the conviction which resulted in there decision so i had my licence back on 05/08/10.

Dumfries court has charged me with

Giving wrong information
driving without license
driving without insurance.

I don't know how to deal with this can some one help me with this please. I can give more information if needed. This is little bit complecated actually to explain
1/10/2011
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
Hi Thank you for your question.

From what you tell me you, at the time you were stopped by the police you were driving on a revoked driving licence, the fact it was later returned means nothing. In law that means you had no driving licence at the time. If you did not have a driving licence at the time you cannot have insurance even if you have a certificate. All insurance certificates are issued subject to the condition that the driver has a valid driving licence, if you don't have a licence then your insurance is invalid. The minimum penalty for driving with no insurance is 6 penalty points and a fine. The fine is usually about £200. No driving licence doesn't normally attract points but will attract a fine of about £100. You have a difficulty in that you have provided the police with false details and all things considered it is likely that the penalty will be more than the minimum. I would expect a short period, probably 6 months, of disqualification from driving.

Providing false details in Scotland is called attempting to pervert the course of justice. You appear to accept that you did that and will need to plead guilty. The likely outcome would be a fine in the region of £200 to £300. All the penalties quoted are subject to you pleading Guilty at the first calling of the case. If you plead later or go to trial the penalties will increase.

Edited by ScotsLawPro on 1/10/2011 at 8:25 PM EST
When Hartlepool court revoked my license I had no information about that that's why i request to re-open the case. When they re-open the case Court said "we are going to void the conviction and any penalty point and fine as well".
Even than will I be classify "driving with no license".
It is taking too much time.
Despite what Hartlepool did your licence was revoked, you had no driving licence at the time. Sorry but that's the position. Sorry for the delay but since it took you 15 hours to ask your follow up, I just assumed you were another non payer and have only just logged back on after being at work all day.
I am sorry I am not a non payer. I am going to release your money thank you very much for your help.
No worries
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor