Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

what would be the likely sentence to be given for branding…

what would be the likely...
what would be the likely sentence to be given for branding a weapon if foung guilty? my friend was involved in an incident by the roadside after someone bumped into the back of him and was intimidated by the other man involved so, after trying to reason with this man, grabbed his work saw from the car and told him to leave him alone. the saw was not used and he didnt touch the man in any way. to further complicate matters, the man was an off duty policeman and my friend has 1 previous conviction. if found guilty, what sentence do you think he will be looking at as we are all very concerned.
1/10/2011
Fran-mod

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m the Legal Category Moderator for JustAnswer. My job is to assist customers with pending questions for the Legal Experts here at JustAnswer.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet.

The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but delays can result depending on the number of Experts online, the question volume, and the difficulty level of the question.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

Regards,

Fran
Moderator, JustAnswer

Hi there,

I have to say i'm dissapointed with this service. Not only have i not been answered but when i checked my paypal account i discovered that the £33 i had transfered there to pay for this service had been taken out by yourselves. The site clearly states that we pay once the question has been answered and if we are satisfied with the answer. Well i have not even been answered so as you can imagine i am not pleased. I request a full refund be transfered back to my paypal account.

Regards.

ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
Hi Thanks for your question.

I have noticed where you are located and can give a somewhat more certain answer as the court where you live is where I routinely work. Make no mistake this is very serious, even if the other person is not an off duty police officer.

The Sheriffs in Kilmarnock Sheriff Court are very much against this type of thing and even with one previous conviction they will almost certainly be considering custody. There will almost certainly be a request for background reports and your friend should be at pains to point out to the social worker how much they deeply regret their actions, they should also appreciate the serious nature of the matter. They should rule out none of the sentencing options and make it clear to the social worker that they would be prepared to carry out community service. That is a direct alternative to custody that must be complied with otherwise custody will follow.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but this, as I said earlier, is very serious. The target of your friend's solicitor is to avoid the jail for your friend, anything else is a good outcome.

Thank you for replying. He knows its not looking great but im wondering, in your opinion, how likely a jail sentence is and how long he would be looking at if he got one?

He is released on bail the now and the trial is coming up. I know he is having difficulty with legal aid so i thought id try this website. I know he has been beating himself up over his stupidity and i know how much he regrets it. He was trying to stay out of trouble and did the completly wrong thing. He is my boyfriend so i am obviously worried about it.

Thanks

Hi again

I can't give percentages about the likelihood of jail sentences I'm afraid but what I can say is that I know all of the criminal solicitors that work in that Sheriff court and all the sheriffs. The lawyers should all be able to persuade the Sheriffs not to jail him as long as he accepts what I said about his foolishness etc to the Social workers. If he does get the jail the maximum would be 12 months, he would serve 6 but that is for someone with a bit of a record not just one conviction. If jail I would expect no more than 6 or 7 months, serving half. Try not to look at that aspect though, accept he's been daft and sing the right song and he'll get Community Service. He must not try to blame someone else, that's really important.

He will get legal aid, just make sure all info asked for is provided, wage slips , bank statements etc
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor