Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

A couple, domiciled in Scotland, unmarried, joint owners of…

Customer Question
A couple, domiciled in Scotland...
A couple, domiciled in Scotland, unmarried, joint owners of property. What is the legal position regarding the property and the contents on separation? One can prove that the deposit and all the renovations were paid by him. He pays 2/3 of the mortgage and she pays 1/3. All household bills with the exception of the weekly groceries are also paid by him. They do not have any joint bank accounts. They have twin sons who will be 18 in September.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Scots Law
6/14/2010
Lawyer: JGM, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Thank you for your question.

The contents are deemed to be owned equally except insofar as gifted or inherited from a third party. As the house is owned equally then each has a claim to one half of the free value of the house. If one party feels that he has been financially disadvantaged to the benefit of the other then he can apply to the court for a capital payment under s28 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006. This Act contains provisions relating to cohabiting couples in sections 25 to 29 and you can find the specific provisions online. In this case you would seek to argue that the deposit and an additional sum representing the unequal contribution towards the mortgage payments should be capitalized and paid. A contra argument may be that the other party has been disadvantaged by, for example, staying at home to bring up the children and has suffered loss of career prospect as a result. This could in fact result in a s28 claim by that party. You cannot judge these type of cases in purely arithmetical terms therefore you should take advice on your specific circumstances.

I hope that this helps. Please press ACCEPT so that I am credited for my time.
What happens regarding the contents of the house?
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.