TNV
TNV, Lawyer
Experience:  Law degree with Honours, Diploma in Legal Practice
18611051

I seperated from my partner in January this year, he still

I seperated from my partner in January this year, he still has most of my posessions including a motorbike and boat, jointly valued at around £11,000. He is refusing to let me collect the bike on the grounds I must first dispose of an old vehicle registered to me and he says once I have done that he will discuss the possiblity of me regaining my bike. Can he legally make me jump through his hoops before I can collect my bike, boat etc. He has the keys for both in his estate rented house. The bike is garaged in the estate garage and the boat is parked on estate land. He does not own the estate. What are my rights regarding posessions left at his house that he will not allow me to collect despite numerous requests in writing and email?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  TNV replied 8 years ago.
If you are the registered owner he has no right to keep possession of them. For him not to give them to you is a criminal matter so you could go to the police. Take the papers regarding the bike and boat to the police and tell them he is not giving the goods to you.