Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

Can a lettings agency force me to take gas and electricity…

Customer Question
Can a lettings agency force...
Can a lettings agency force me to take gas and electricity from a specific supplier? In my case, according to uswitch.com, it would increase my annual energy costs from £1,046 per year to £1,445 per year. The lettings agency is paid a commission by the energy company, Spark Energy, for every property they manage which buys energy from them. I am in Glasgow, Scotland.

Thanks

Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Scots Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2009
Lawyer: TNV, Lawyer replied 9 years ago
TNV
TNV, Lawyer
It depends on what it says in your letting agreement/contract. What type of contract do you have with them? Is it a short term letting agreement?

If it stipulates that you must take electricity from a designates supplier (and you signed that contract) then you have bound yourself to the terms.

If you want to challenge the term of the contract as being an unfair term, then you might have a case.

You should attempt to negotiate with the letting agency and see what they say. If they dig their heels in you should then mention that it may be an unfair contract term and that you will seek legal advice. They may then decide to "make a special case" and let you have your way....but of course they may not. Worth a try though.

Hope this helps.
TNV
TNV, Lawyer