Scots Law

Scottish Law Questions? Ask a Scots Lawyer

Scots Law

I have been charged to appear at Inverness Sheriff court charged

with "CRIMINAL LAW (CONSOLIDATION) (SCOTLAND)...
I have been charged to appear at Inverness Sheriff court charged with "CRIMINAL LAW (CONSOLIDATION) (SCOTLAND) ACT 1995 S52(1) & (3) DOMESTIC" I am unable to see my lawyer until next week but I am very concerned about this charge as I do not know what it entails and how serious it is. No physical violence towards my wife was involved but much verbal abuse, threats and I also threatened to commit suicide. She reported this all to the police and I was later arrested. I am extremely worried and am hopeful that you could shed some, or any, light on the situation as I am unable to see my lawyer until next week.
Thank you very much,

Gregor Young
6/13/2009
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor

Hi Gregor

Thank you for your question.

I wouldn't be unduly concerned about this. You have been charged with vandalism. It might be that you damaged some property in the house and that is what you are being prosecuted for. The worst case scenario here is that you might be punished with a small fine and a compensation order for the damage caused. If I was representing you I would be encouraging a Sheriff to defer sentence for a period of time to show that this was just a silly mistake and for you to pay for the damage. Then when you return to court I would be asking that you are admonished and no further punishment is imposed.

Hope this helps. Please click ACCEPT for my time to be credited.

SLP

ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor