ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons), Dip LP, NP
13407762

I have been issued with a 60 fine and 3 penelty points by

I have been issued with a £60 fine and 3 penelty points by Dumfries for allegedly traveling at 90mph on the M74 back in February, I didn't sign the form that arrived in the post they sent it back I didnt do anything, they sent 2 bobbies round from my local station in Knutsford Cheshire, who took details from my license, I now have recieved a letter which has doubled the fine to £120 and the points to 6.
Surely this is a scare tactic or can they do this?
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  ScotsLawPro replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer/p>

Thank you for your question.

The offer that you have received now is not from the police but from the procurator fiscal and they are perfectly entitled to do this. If you do not accept this offer they will simply take you to court and if you are found guilty whilst the points will not increase the fine will, probably to somewhere near £240.

I have to say that for the speed that is alleged here £120 and 6pp is more like what I would have expected. I would be inclined to pay the current offer as it will only increase if you don't.

Hope this helps. Please click ACCEPT for my time to be credited.

SLP