Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

My sons ex-partner has just had a baby. She has registered…

Customer Question
My sons ex-partner has just...
My sons ex-partner has just had a baby. She has registered the birth as father unknown. She is prepared to let him have access but it has not been agreed how often or how much he will have to pay. How do we go about getting parental rights for our son
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Scots Law
Answered in 1 day by:
6/7/2009
Lawyer: ScotsLawPro, Solicitor replied 9 years ago
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor

HiCustomer/p>

Thank you for your question.

Parental rights can be granted in a number of ways. If he is named on the Birth Certificate they are automatic, that has quite clearly not happened here. The only other ways available are that she grants them by way of a parental rights agreement or if she refuses to do this the only other option left is to have the court grant them. This would require a declarator of parentage and then for parental rights and responsibilities to be granted.

Hope this helps. Please click ACCEPT for my time to be credited.

SLP

ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor