Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

I received a speeding fine which I initially tried to pay but…

Customer Question
I received a speeding fine...
I received a speeding fine which I initially tried to pay but only sent my paper licence. When the court replied asking for my photo-licence I was in Canada but managed to send it. It was held in UK customs meaning the deadline was missed and therefore the court increased the fine from £60 to £150.

I have appealed this on the grounds that I made two attempts to pay the fine and the late delivery of the photocard was out of my hands. I spoke to a court employee who admitted the penalty did not ask for both parts but that the licence it self does.

I am aware that many people are stung by this but feel I have fair grounds for the original £60 fine to be re-instated on the grounds that I made 2 attempts to pay the fine and the fact that the deadline was missed is out of my hands.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Scots Law
6/4/2009
Lawyer: ScotsLawPro, Solicitor replied 9 years ago
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

My situation is not one of the "many cock and bull stories". I have provided a photocopy of my recorded delivery receipt from Canada and as of yet have not been given the opportunity to attend the court in person and explain with proof.

I'm not willing to role over like everyone else but am also not willing to pay for legal representation.

Thanks for you efforts.