Scots Law

Scottish law questions? Ask a Scots lawyer

who is legally responsible for payment where gas pipes have…

Customer Question
who is legally responsible for...
who is legally responsible for payment where gas pipes have been damaged within the boundary of a private dwelling by a contractor employed by the homeowner?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Scots Law
6/3/2009
Lawyer: ScotsLawPro, Solicitor replied 9 years ago
ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor

HiCustomer/p>

Thank you for your question.

As far as the gas board are concerned you are responsible for this repair and it is you they will pursue for payment.

You should then pursue the contractor for return of any monies you pay out and for any expenses incurred in doing that.

Hope this helps. Please click ACCEPT for my time to be credited.

SLP

Many thanks for your response, sorry for th delay in getting back to you but I have been on holiday.

Could you please tell me what law/legislation this comes under.

Many thanks

Hi again

It doesn't come under any legislation. It comes under the common law of delict. That is the law that says that you have to exercise a duty of care in certain circumstances not to injure another. That includes damage to their property, that is why you will ultimately be held responsible for the repair to the pipe. The contractor in this matter owes the same duty to you and that is why you can recover from him.

SLP

ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor