ScotsLawPro
ScotsLawPro, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB (Hons), Dip LP, NP
13407762

theft by finding

theft by finding
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  ScotsLawPro replied 8 years ago.

Hi toneylowe1

Sorry, what is your question?

SLP

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the definition of scottish law relating to theft by finding

Hi again

Theft by finding is quite simply when you find property that you know or suspect belongs to someone else, make no effort to find the owner or hand the property to the police or someone else in authority and thereafter retain it for your own use or dispose of it as if you were the beneficial owner.

Hope this helps. Please click ACCEPT for my time to be credited.

SLP

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what would be considered as a reasonable amount of time to return the property

Hi again

There is no strict time limits and each case would turn on it's own merits. I would suggest that a reasonable guide would probably be 72 hours but that's only a personal view and is NOT law. There is no time scale set by law.

SLP

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So if it is the intention to return the property whatever the timescale is this theft under scottish law?

No certainly not. I can't put a timescale on it. If you intend to return the property it is not theft as there is no intention to deprive, but there would come a time where this might be quite hard to prove.

SLP

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this was regarding some cash that i picked up and because i do not go to scotland that often (daughter in university) I was going to take this to a police station when i went up again, it was as i recall the beginning of february

If you are intending handing it in there is no prospect of you being charged with theft by finding.

SLP