Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

Trying to install a new remote key fob. It’s an 08 Saturn

Customer Question

Trying to install a new remote key fob
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the Mechanic to go over that information regarding your Saturn. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: it’s an 08 Saturn vue XR
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Saturn
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Need help programming my key fob
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome! I ask that you please provide as many details ans possible and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

Heres the procedure for that

PROCEDURE #1

THIS PROCEDURE IS FOR VEHICLES WITH THE DRIVER INFORMATION CENTER. IT WILL BE A BUTTON TO THE RIGHT OF THE STEERING WHEEL WITH A VEHICLE ICON AND THE LETTER i.

1. Insert key and switch the ignition ON (just shy of starting vehicle without cranking engine)
  2. Press vehicle information button until PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY is displayed.
  3. Press the set/reset button (button will have a check mark) until REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE is displayed. Vehicle is now in programming mode.
  4. Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time on first remote for approximately 15 seconds. An acoustic signal will be heard indicating successful programming.
  5. Repeat step 4 to program additional remotes. You can have up to 8 programmed remotes for this vehicle. You must program ALL remotes including existing remotes.
  6. To exit programming mode turn ignition OFF, remove key and test all remotes.

PROCEDURE #2

THIS PROCEDURE IS FOR VEHICLES WITHOUT THE DRIVERS INFORMATION CENTER.

1. Insert key into the ignition and turn to ON (Just shy of starting vehicle without cranking engine).
  2. Press the trip odometer reset button until RELEARN REMOTE KEY is displayed.
  3. Press and hold the trip odometer reset button for approximately 3 seconds until REMOTE KEY LEARNING ACTIVE displays.
  5. Repeat step 4. to program additional remotes. You can have up to 8 programmed remotes for this vehicle. You must program ALL remotes including existing remotes.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't have them buttons on the side of steering wheel
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 7 days ago.

thats why I sent 2 procedures

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok when I push the odometer button it just switch's the degrees and nothing else
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 7 days ago.

are you pressing and holding?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes for three seconds and nothing still happened
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It does have a remote start on it too
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 7 days ago.

ok if it will not go into programing mode you will need a dealer level scanner to do the program, more than likley there is a issue with a module

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can I get one at like an auto part store and if so what's the scanner called
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 7 days ago.

you can not the scanner you need for that is around 400 and up, its easier to get a lock smith or dealer to program it unless you want to invest in that equipment

Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 4 days ago.

If you need more help with this particular issue, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! You can do this at the top of the screen using the stars it is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question until you are satisfied the problem is taken care of.