Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Vue that is making a terrible noise, and I…

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Vue...
I have a 2007 Vue that is making a terrible noise, and I can’t seem to figure out where it’s coming from. It is a sort of loud rattling/clunking noise that varies in volume and speed, but seems to be independent of speed, rpm, road conditions, temperature, etc. These things seem to affect it, but not completely control it. Here are a couple of scenarios (all of them happen frequently, but not all the time):
1. When starting (regardless of ground level), it will be a slow/medium speed knocking sound that seems to:
A) increase in speed and volume in correlation with engine rpm, or
B) stop at a higher rpm
2. When idling on unlevel ground, slightly faster sound than idling on level ground. Similarly affected by rpm.
3. When driving, it will be a sound similar to before, but will go away when slightly pressing the gas a little more. Then when the engine rpms are higher, shortly before a gear change, the sound will swell in volume and the speed of the sound will get incredibly fast, sounding as though something is about to blow up, then as soon as it shifts into the next gear, it will either go away or become slow and quiet again.
4. Sometimes after driving for an extended period, the sound will completely go away until the next time I start the car.
Btw, this is an automatic transmission and v6 engine. The car has 177k miles and has done it since I bought it (used).
Submitted: 18 days ago.Category: Saturn
4/4/2018
Saturn Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 17 days ago
Shawn Few

Hi , I see that your question has been sitting for a while and has not been answered ,I m sorry for your wait and I like to assist you on it , if you still have not had the issue resolved

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I have not resolved the issue
Saturn Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 17 days ago

IS THERE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON ?

HAVE YOU SCANNED IT , WHAT WERE FAULY CODES ?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No check engine light.
Saturn Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 17 days ago

BE HARD WITH OUT HEARING IT ,

MAKE A YOU TUBE VIDEO AND SEND ME LINK

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
I could only get a video while idling, so it’s not very loud or fast, but maybe enough to tell.
https://youtu.be/SCprHtNjeX4
Saturn Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 15 days ago

Thank you for video Yes I can hear it , but faintly but I can hear it

,

2 possibilities

1-Trans related

this hear sound like coming from transmission if you saying sounds worse right before changing , like transmission pump noise , the faster you go and especial when in any gear and at the point of gear change that is when you need the highest line pressure from transmission pump , that is my best calculated guess and these transmission pumps do fail on them , but I would want to raise it on car lift ,get stethoscope ,cranked ,have some body in it and listen up close ,in different position , idle in gear , in reverse etc ,to be accurate .

2- Engine related , I would take belt off and run it , is the noise still there ,if it goes away , start spinning pulleys by hand to see if any idler , pulley , etc making that noise , check any play in crankshaft pulley

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?ASE Certified Technician

Customer reply replied 13 days ago
When a coworker was looking at it a few days ago, he said it wasn’t coming from the pulleys, but seemed to be coming from a little further back.
Saturn Mechanic: Shawn Few ,
 replied 13 days ago

if it is coming from further back, then we have timing chain tensioner, or trans pump whine

it will need to be raised on car lift and use a stethoscope and have it some body in the car and run it and you listen from bottom to be sure here

Shawn Few
Shawn Few
Shawn Few