Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My Saturn was stolen I have a 2000 L1 series they broke the…

My Saturn was stolen...

My Saturn was stolen I have a 2000 L1 series they broke the key off in the ignition and I do not have the original key to the car the car starts for a few seconds and then shuts off I need to know how to bypass the security system or without having to have the transponder key cuz we were going to install it toggle starter switch how do I get past this

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

Yes it's the valet key but the ignition was destroyed when they decided to either hammer or blow torch the metal over the broken half of the key

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

It's either a 2000 or a 2001 when they stole the car they took the owner's manual and everything with it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I've tried resetting with the key because they security light is flashing it starts for a few seconds and then dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of off the top of my head I'm just very frustrated and need my car it's the only one I have to go to work

3/25/2018
david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

does the security light flash when you are trying to start the vehicle?

Oops yes it does

ok, Im surprised at that. normally the vehicle won't start if passlock has it locked out.

can not call right now.

it does yes it does start for a few minutes few seconds and then it just dies

if it starts for a few minutes, then its definitely not an anti-theft problem

not minutes a few seconds

ok well, the only way to fix the issue is to get another key programmed to the vin of the vehicle so the transponder ring can identify it

david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic
I don't have the original key to the car all I have is a valet key is there a way to bypass yet having to get a new transponder key and how much am I looking at or where would I go to get it
eauto
eauto, self employed
Phone call session started

you would need to have the new key cut and programmed at the GM dealer. You cannot bypass the security system.

you will also need to replace the key cylinder and possibly the ignition switch if it was damaged.

Thank you so much for your help do you know how much is going to run me to get a new key

usually here in pittsburgh, it runs between 75.00-120.00

I did and are still trying to get a complete scan of the entire system on the2000-1 Saturn are there any other things that may keep the car from running .like air or fuel sensors not working
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

David Craig is correct when he stated you will need a new ignition cylinder and key. This is a Passkey system, and although it uses a regular key, there is a sensor that is part of the cylinder. It can't be bypassed, otherwise, what would be the purpose of having it?

There are many mobile automotive locksmiths that will be familiar with this system.

I have included some information for you.

SECURITY TELLTALE will be FLASHING if:
^ The tamper hall effect sensor has been triggered
^ Incorrect PASSLock sensor data to BCM for more than 5 Seconds during vehicle start
^ No PASSLock sensor data to the BCM for more than 5 Seconds during vehicle start
^ Incorrect password ***** the BCM to the ECM/PCM after 5 Seconds during vehicle start

The ignition lock cylinder contains a magnet mounted on the lock cylinder and a Passlock sensor assembly mounted on the ignition module which consists of security hall effect sensor, tamper hall effect sensor, and output resistors. A drill proof metal shield is also staked over the sensor housing.

The Passlock sensor mounted to the ignition lock cylinder assembly is located inside the upper right side of the steering column. The Passlock sensor contains two hall effect sensors: a tamper hall effect sensor and a security hall effect sensor. The tamper hall effect sensor is mounted on top of the security hall effect sensor. Should someone attempt to defeat the system by use of magnetic experimentation, the tamper hall effect sensor will activate first.