Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A couple of months ago i started my car (2004 Saturn ion)

and it made a awful...
A couple of months ago i started my car (2004 Saturn ion) and it made a awful noise and I got the PWR STR message. Turned my car off and restarted it and everything was fine. It done a few more times here and there. But today I have had to restart my car 4 or 5 times to get it to stop every time I have driven it and each time it has been making that same noise, only worse, and acting like it doesn't want to start. It only makes the noise when I am having the power steering issue. ????? I've read that this is a common problem but I'm just wondering if it's the steering motor? A fuse? Something else?
3/24/2018
david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

the power steering motors on these cars are a very common problem and are replaced all the time

are you there?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I'm here. Does that sound like the problem or could it possibly be anything else? I knew that it was a common problem but I've seen a lot of people who thought thats what it was and it turned out to be something else.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Some people have said that mechanics will try and tell you that you need a whole new steering column (I think that's what they called it anyways) when you actually don't just to make more money off of you. What are the chances of actually needing that?

yes it seems likes its the problem especially since its happening so frequently. there is a recall for this on your vehicle but, only for cars in canada

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
All day today when I had this going on it seemed like it was taking more and more for my car to start each time. This isn't something that could hurt anything else is it? My lights were sort of dimming in and out while it was trying to turn over and the noise it was making was horrible. I wouldn't think that power steering would have that much to do with my car actually starting but then again I don't really know anything about it? Is that normal?

the power steering on your vehicle is electronic and operates with a motor that if bad will make noise and cause electrical drain on other systems

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Ok, yeah I guess that makes sense. �� Any instructions on how I could replace it myself?? I don't really have the money to take it to a shop at the moment.

standby

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Whew. That's confusing. But I will give it a go! Thanks for your time.

you are very welcome and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic
david craig
david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic