Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Changed valve cover gaskets, plugs, and now it misfires on 1…

Changed valve cover gaskets...

Changed valve cover gaskets, plugs, and now it misfires on 1 3 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

3.0, yes no fault codes where shown prior to me changing valve cover gaskets. Also changed coil boots that go over plugs and no oil or anything is on the top of the plugs. all dry so i know those boots didn't swell and let let the coil/plug ground against the head

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

03 saturn vue 3.0 AWD

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes im making the attempt. new plugs, new coil boots.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

3/17/2018
ironmike
ironmike, ASE Master Technician GM certified

greetings,

did you use GM parts? did you check the gap of the spark plugs?

I have seen new plugs bad. 1,3 and 6. not 5?

You can start with swapping #6(front bank) with either an old plug or 4 and see if the miss fire moves or leaves.

if you have 1.3 and 6 you have both banks and more than likely not a coil pack issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
cyl 1, 3, and 6. Prior to me changing plugs and valve cover gaskets the motor ran fine with no fault codes. When i got it all put back together i tried starting it without the breather on it and it started and rpms jumped to 2500-3000RPm and then stalled, i restarted it and did the same multiple times. then when i put the breather on it started and misfired. I checked fault codes and it said misfire on 1, 3, and 6. took apart changed coil boots and checked plug gap and they where at .44 which is what their supposed to be from what the GM dealership told me for that motor, and still misfires
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did my GM tech tell me wrong plug gap?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it misfires and runs rough at idle, and at higher RPM around 1500-2000 RPM it seems to run smooth

sound like you have a major vacuum leak. when the idle jumps high and rough running it points to a leak.

did you replace the intake gaskets/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm going to try replacing lower intake gasket and what is the part that has 3 bolts on the top left side (Passenger side by air box) that the breather connects too that has to be taken off to access lower intake bolts called? Could that gasket cause this?

let me check

3 bolts, sound like the throttle body. any hose to the intake or throttle body would cause a big leak and cause the engine to act like this. We need to go over the hoses and make sure they are on and not split.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
all hoses appear to be connected and not split or dry rotted, without the breather connected to the throttle body would it stall out after being started?

can you post a picture?

PVC or breather hose would be a major leak

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks for your help

You are welcome. I use a spray cleaner to check for leaks when hard to find. Needs to be combustible and when small leaks are hit the engine runs better. If no hoses I would suspect the intake o rings. Many times when they are disturbed they will leak. good luck

ironmike
ironmike
ironmike