Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The shifter will not go into any gear. Transmission is 2004,

Customer Question
The shifter will not...

The shifter will not go into any gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Transmission is 2004, same as the car! What do you mean brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Saturn?

Saturn Vue

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm thinking it's the clutch but car starts when I engage the clutch. Could the pressure plate or throw out barring be part of the issue on why it frozen into neautral

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No... thank you for your assistance

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Saturn
3/15/2018
Saturn Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

If the clutch is really worn it could make it difficult or impossible to shift to any gear. If you try staring the car in gear (try second or third) will the car start or does it try to lurch forward like you don't have the clutch in? Be careful to set the parking brake and hold the brake pedal when doing this in case the clutch is engaging. You don't want it to lurch forward on you.

Please let me know if you need additional info.