Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A couple of things. 1. it has a tendency to shift hard after…

A couple of things...

A couple of things. 1. it has a tendency to shift hard after about 10 minutes of driving. 2. The area you put oil in was loose but I was able to tighten it a bit (pretty sure that is supposed to happen) 3. when driving recently the car seems to have a slight wobble when going slow and also makes a whirring sound that I can hear inside while driving. I wonder if 1 or 2 has anything to do with the check engine light coming on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on, but when im driving locally the light turns off. Then when I jump on the highway to work it goes back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Saturn?

"06 Saturn Ion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was my wife's car and she had only taken it in for recalls. I typically take it in for oil change maintenance only. I only know how to work on older cars like my 83 buick hahaha

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. the key does not turn and pull out. I need to press the button in the steering column to get the key out of the ignition.

3/14/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

the shifting hard after driving ,is usual , line pressure,valve body , dirty fluid ,

have you done any transmission service to it ?

what is mileage in it ?

any warning lights on dash ?

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

Hi Chad nice to meet you. Thank you very much.

you are very welcome

you have to start with trans / filter service

check fluid for any metal shavings when you drain it

click on link to view steps

I have not had any recent transmission services. it has been a while.There's is roughly 130,000The only light is the check engine light and I would more than likely take it to a shop for maintenance

2006 Saturn ION

L4-2.2L VIN F

Parts and Labor

• Vehicle
  • Maintenance
  • Filters
  • Fluid Filter - A/T
  • Parts ^ labor

Parts and Labor

Parts InformationOEM PartPrice

Filter

61 - Filter Part # 24221762 $56.06

Contact Dealer for most current part and price information

Labor Information Skill LevelMfg. Warranty Standard

Replace

4T40-E/4T45-E (4 Speed)B 1.0

Ok great thank you Chad.How about the other issues?I spoke to my wife and she doesn't remember when the brakes were last changed. I'm wondering if that is what's causing the wobble

The check engine light ,we need to have the modules scanned, you can do at shop or like local parts store ,like advance auto ,auto zone and they give u fault code number and based on that we can know why

but i would do trans service first on it at 130k,it needed changed at 80 or 100 max

if there is metal shavings in fluid ,that would not be good and clutches wore out inside ,if not most like service of fluid will fix

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

The wobble will be cv axle or tire out of balance or wheel bearings

but sound like wheel bearings

Fantastic!Then there's the key not coming out of the ignition. I need to push the button in the steering column to get the key out

the oil , i would look at the oil tube ,o-ring ,where it goes in block

Engine Oil Dipstick Not Fully Seated.

on key ?

do the brake light works ?

does key turn smoothly ?

The break lightlights work and the key turns very smoothly.

There is recall on the ignition switch itself

# 14133E: Product Safety - Replace Ignition Key - (Mar 23, 2015)

Subject: 14133E - Replace Ignition KeyModels: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt 2006-2011 Chevrolet HHR 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only) 2007-2010 Pontiac G5 2003-2007 Saturn Ion 2007-2010 Saturn Sky

Recall - Ignition Key Replacement

The Parts Information, Service Procedure and Warranty Transaction Information sections have been revised for the Keys for Life Program. The customer notice has also been updated to advise customers not to attempt to reprogram any old slotted keys still in their possession. Dealers should discard all copies of the previous notice and begin using the updated notice. Please discard all copies of bulletin 14133D.

Vehicles involved in this safety recall are also involved in safety recall 13454, 14063 or 14092. Check the Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) screen in the GM Global Warranty Management (GWM) system to determine which additional field action is applicable. Perform the service procedure provided in that bulletin in conjunction with the repair described in this bulletin.

Condition

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in all 2005-2010 model year (MY) Chevrolet Cobalt, 2006-2011 MY Chevrolet HHR, 2007-2010 MY Pontiac G5, 2006-2010 MY Pontiac Solstice, 2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit, 2003-2007 MY Saturn Ion, and 2007-2010 MY Saturn Sky vehicles. Some of these vehicles may have a condition in which the ignition key may be removed when the ignition is not in the "Off" position. If the ignition key is removed when the ignition is not in the "Off" position, unintended vehicle motion may occur: (a) for an automatic transmission, if the transmission is not in "Park"; or (b) for a manual transmission, if the parking brake is not engaged and the transmission is not in reverse gear. This could result in a vehicle crash and occupant or pedestrian injuries.

General Motors has also determined that all 2005 and some 2006 MY Chevrolet Cobalt vehicles and all 2003-2004 MY Saturn Ion vehicles may fail to conform to FMVSS 114, Theft Prevention and Rollaway Prevention, as a result of this condition.

Whenever a customer contacts you about the recalls it is imperative that you remind them of the following:

Until the recall repairs have been performed, it is VERY important that you remove all items from your key ring, leaving only the vehicle key. The key fob (if applicable), should also be removed from your key ring. Also, when exiting your vehicle, always make sure your vehicle is in "Park", or in the case of a manual transmission, put the transmission into reverse gear. Always set the parking brake.

After the repairs, only use the new round hole keys and rings that have been provided to you by your dealer. Destroy any old slotted keys you still have that have not been turned into your GM dealer. Your GM dealer will provide replacement keys for your vehicle free of charge for the life of the vehicle. If you obtain an ignition key elsewhere, always use a key of the exact same design as the repair key, including the shape, and size, and with only a round key hole.

Also, please request that they bring ALL keys and key fobs for their vehicle with them when they come to your dealership for this repair.

Correction

Dealers will cut and, if necessary, re-learn two new ignition keys and attach the provided key ring to each key.

Note:
GM records indicate that these vehicles (subject to recall 14133) were built with the redesigned ignition cylinder or had the ignition cylinder replaced with the redesigned part; therefore, replacement of the ignition cylinder is not required. All of these vehicles require the ignition switch to be replaced (under recall 13454, 14063 or 14092), in conjunction with replacing the two ignition keys.

Note:
Vehicles which GM records indicate were built with the defective ignition cylinder and have not previously had the ignition cylinder replaced with the redesigned part are subject to a different recall (14113), where dealers will replace the ignition cylinder, and cut and, if necessary, re-learn two ignition keys, in addition to replacing the ignition switch (under recall 13454, 14063 or 14092).

Take to dealer and have them check vin# ***** see if the recall been done that is where i would start on key issue

You are very welcome :)

Chad Farhat

Thank you for the Rating :)
If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page
You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800