Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I left my light on and my car battery in my 2006 saturn went…

I left my light...

I left my light on and my car battery in my 2006 saturn went dead. I got a jump and my powee steeeing light came on i know its a fuse that need to be changed i don't know which fuse i have to replace

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

No i didnt test the battery and to yoy mean the fuse when you say have i ever changed it before

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Saturn?

Ion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yea Nothing but google what i should do i haven't touched anything yet other then the jump

3/14/2018
Pete, Saturn Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

You want to check in the under hood fuse panel and locate the EPS fuse 43 ( 60 amp ) and see if it is o.k.If this fuse is blown it will need to be replaced.This fuse can short out due to a power surge from a jump start or even battery replacement in some cases.

If this fuse is o.k. then the fault codes may just need to be cleared out with a scan tool that can read the power steering control module/ecu to clear the codes from it as sometimes a low voltage code will set and all that is needed is to have the code cleared out.If the code comes right back then the code needs to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.Below is a layout of your fuse panel to locate fuse 43.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k1a7h63x2eythel/eps-03-14.png?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i would have to take it to a dealership so that can power it up?

If the fuse is o.k. then a scan tool is needed to read codes from the power steering control module to then either clear the codes or diagnose and repair the codes if they do not clear out.Any facility that has a compatible scan tool to do this can do this for you.This doesn't necessarily have to be a dealer as a local repair facility may be able to do this for you.In some cases, a local parts store can read out the codes from this power steering computer free of charge but usually cannot diagnose the fault but can give you an idea if a fault needs to be diagnosed and repaired or if the code just needs to be cleared out.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You said something about scanning so does that mean i have to let a dealership do it?

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I cant drive it for someone to look at it what do you think would happen if i removed it and put it back

You can remove it and wait about 5 minutes then reinstall it.This will reset the power steering control unit and may work in some cases.But if it does not work the only other option is to have the fault codes read out of the power steering control module itself to see what codes are set then those codes can be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.This would have to be done, unfortunately.In some cases, it may just be a low voltage code that needs to be cleared out to resolve this fault but it has to be done with a scan tool.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll try removing it and let you know what happens in 5 mins

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It didn't work can you possibly give me a example on a place to go to let someone look at it

A GM dealer is your best option or any repair shop that works on GM model vehicles in your area.Usually, a larger independent shop can help.If it comes down to needing a new power steering control module for some reason a GM dealer is the best option as it will need to be programmed by them when it is replaced.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Saturn Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

Your welcome

Pete, Saturn Mechanic