Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 97 Saturn that when you started this sputters and…

I have a 97...

I have a 97 Saturn that when you started this sputters and dies, when I pull the pump relay the car starts and runs fine until it runs out of fuel, I checked the fuel pressure, it's only 30 for the 3 second start up, and 40 when I hot wire the pump, pressure drops to 30, then 26 when pump is turned off

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

Has 105000 miles, don't know when last service was done

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Saturn?

An sc2 I believe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When car initially guitar, it threw generic codes 300,341 and one other that I can't remember having to do with Cam sensor, I tried to fix them, new crank shaft sensor , New egr , new plugs and wires, cleaned coils and tested them

3/11/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Has the fuel pump been replaced?

Hello, my name is Chris

Hello Chris, has the fuel pump been replaced? Does pressure maintain 40 psi when relay is bypassed?

No, pump has not been replaced,yes it maintains pressure when bypassed

D​oes vehcle start/run if you bypass fuel pump relay or does it still shut down?

No, doesn't run, only runs with relay pulled

Have you tried to unplug the mass airflow sensor to see if that makes a difference?

No I haven't, should I?

Try it and let me know, thanks.

After unplugging the iac, it started and ran for a short time, trying again, it would start and run a few seconds

Did you try to unplug the maf?

I unplugged the maf, it's new, didn't run, plugged iac back in, it runs, but runs better unplugged, can't touch gas pedal, or dies, engine runs lower rpm than should. Guess I need a new iac. Any thing else I should check
Should I replace fuel pump anyway, nasty job
Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician

Hello and welcome, different expert here.

Do you still need help?

What may I assist you with?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Where is the maf sensor
Hello

Let me send you a pic

Do you happen to have your VIN by chance? This one may not use a MAF sensor..

Vin number is *****

It says invalid VIN?

Let me look again
1g8zg1273v396201

Thank you.

This engine uses a map sensor.

It looks like this.

You said a maf not map, I replaced the map sensor. I tried to start car with both map and iac unplugged didn't run
It runs with the iac unplugged, but not well

Right. I am telling you this engine does not use a MAF.

Maybe it would be easier if we speak on the phone.

Would be, but can't afford it
Sorry, a mistake in communication

No problem sir, I understand.

For some reason I thought the previous person meant the iac, my mistake, but it did run after unplugging the iac,
I did check the plug for the iac, it has voltage

Ok, leave the IAC plugged in and see if the engine will start and run.

If your able to send me a video of this, that would be a big help.

Also, check the fuel pressure and engine compression.

Let me know!

I did plug the iac back in, it did start and run, but better unplugged, I did a fuel pressure test. 30 for 3 second start up, 40 when I bypassed pump relay. Dropped to 26 when shut off
Haven't done a compression test
Before, engine wouldn't start, but when I pulled the relay, it would run till out of fuel
I can send a video, but how do I get back in touch with you

Just reply back to me on this page and I will get it and reply back asap.

Sorry about being late weather bad here. Can't send video, car back to not running, only runs after I pull the fuel pump relay

Got it, no problem. now is the time to run all of the necessary tests.

What tests do you suggest, am willing to do most any test, if I have tools, but I don't have a diagnostic tool, only a code reader

If it is cranking over but not starting, then you would need to check for spark and fuel.

If there is no fuel pressure, you would check the fuel pump circuit to see if the pump is getting power.

We can speak on the phone if that would work better for you.

I've been trying to send you a video,but with little success

If the video is less than 1 minute long, you might be able to send it to my cell

Amedee
Amedee, Saturn Technician
Hello, apparently I can't send a video of the engine running I don't know how I guess. Here's what I have done. I did do a compression test with number one 170 175 175 170. The engine does run better with the IAC unplugged but only at... about 500 RPM. This is with the fuel pump running. And it runs rough. With the fuel pump unplugged it runs up to 1500 RPMs and idles nicely runs smoothly then runs out of fuel
I did try running it with the fuel pump on a remote power source other than the car and it ran the same, better with pump off than pump on

Was the ignition module/coils replaced? If not, that could be the root cause.

When I tested the coil packs they had the proper resistance and a very bright Spark

Ok, I have not found that ohming out the coils or module is a valid test. Just a thought..

Is there any other way to test him other than just replaced them

Sure, but this takes expensive diagnostic equipment such as a lab scope.

Does one replace just the coil packs or the entire unit. I did remove them and clean them they look really good no corrosion or anything of that sort

YES, you could certainly just replace then.

Replace them (sorry for the typo)

Do I need to replace the base piece also I don't know what it's called I don't remember

Ignition control module and both ignition coils.

Okay now if you could just maybe explain to me why pulling the pump relay makes it run better does it draw too much power or what

You would need to find out of this affects the fuel pressure first. I would assume it does. If so, the change in fuel pressure is likely why it runs better when you do this.

Interesting answer I'm not sure I know how to check that considering I can't keep it running. Replacing ignition coils is a pretty spendy proposition. But if you think that's my next step I will do that

I hear you. Although your not giving me much to work with so keep that in mind. Maybe we can speak over the phone as it might be easier for both of us. Can you talk now?

Landline only I don't get phone service up here

Is that the number you have entered? If so, I can call now

My number is(###) ###-#### Be sure to talk on the answering machine if I don't pick up or recognize your number or I won't know that it's you

I have entered my number. You can call now