Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hood latch will not release. it is not the main latch but…

Hood latch will not...

Hood latch will not release. it is not the main latch but the secondary. it appears that the hood was shut, but didn't latch down securely. now i can't get the secondary latch to release

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you hear a thunk when you pull the lever?

No, the lever in the car was completely loose. i don't think the cable is broken, i think when the hood was shut from the last oil change, there was something that interfered with the hood.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2004 ion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried to pop the secondary release lever. it moves, but i don't think it moves far enough to release the hood

3/7/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

there is a procedure we can try for inoperative,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILE WITH PICTURES AND STEPS TO OPEN IT

AND ALSO THE REMOVE AND REPLACE PROCEDURE TO REPLACE CABLE IF NEEDED

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
sir--this is almost what i need, but not quite. i think the cable is intact, but the secondary is the problem. i think there was a tool or something left under the hood, so the secondary latch hooked, but not the primary (ie, completely latched down). any suggestions?

the only thing i can think off is raised on lift and try to go from under the car ,i k now harder said then done

i see what u saying ,something caught on latch, there is no written procedure for that to be honest

i have like snake camera and few techs and we tackle it that way i know most likely u do not have that

try flash light ,crawl on your back and long flexible antenna or lock out set tool i use a long flexible rod i have in my lock out set

WHILE YOU ARE MOVING OR TRY TO MOVE LATCH HAVE APERSON PUSH DOWN AND THE BACK UP AND YOU TRY TO MOVE AT SAME TIME ,LET TENSION LOSE MAYBE , THAT IS WHAT I WOULD DO

let me know if you get it open

tried everything you mentioned, except going from underneath. i will have to wait for the weekend to get to my mechanic to lift it and work the things you mentioned. thanks for getting back

welcome ,sorry could not help more ,

try also buying a telescopic mirror ,local parts store, flash light pointing up from bottom , it will help you see better, have another person help you

let me know i be around on weekend .

Thank you for the Rating :)
If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page
You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800