Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Speedometer stopped working on a 01 sL2 codes say p0722,

Speedometer stopped working on...

Speedometer stopped working on a 01 sL2 codes say p0722, p0500

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0722 no car had no codes prior

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '01 Saturn?

SL2 sL2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Code just came

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

As i mentioned two cades came up p0500 and p0722

3/7/2018
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. I am working on your question now, If you see a popup for phone call? please ignore as the system send that and not me, I prefer to keep our conversation in Chat. Sometimes a call is warranted but I can not send files over the phone if needed, I will reply back to this post shortly. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay,

Manual or auto transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
manual

Thanks, ***** ***** now. back shortly

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

You have a bad VSS or vehicle speed sensor. It is mounted in the trans near where the axle shaft to right front wheel goes into the trans. I have attached a couple files but they are for the automatice but location is near exact same. I would suggest buying the vehicle speed sensor so you know what you are looking for. The job must be done from under the car, You unplug the sensor and then unscrew the sensor from the trans, Not hard but have to work under car as mentioned, The sensor does not cost much , I think in most areas under $40. Here are the files showing location, It is #20 in the one location picture

Please rate my service provided using the star rating on your page,Thanks, Randall

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh thanks , pardon it’s a automatic not manual

then the information 100/% matches what you have, you need a speed sensor, BOTH codes indicate the sensor has failed and you will set these codes as well as lose speedo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do I know, isn’t it an input and output

no the sensor in question IS the output sensor., The output sensor is same as the VSS and is mounted wher I sent shown right above the RF axle in the trans, That is the ONLY sensor that will cause the codes and.. the speedo to stop.Please rate my service provided using the star rating on your page,Thanks, Randall

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, one last question!
What is the input for , and should I replace that on while I have it up

Sorry for the delay. I am not getting notifications from JA when customer replies, The input? has nothting to do with this and is internal to the trans, Sure,m you could change it but lots of work to do so, The output VSS is the problem and is external on the trans.Please rate my service provided using the star rating on your page,Thanks, Randall

Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Randall, thank you again so your detailed info.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Left you a well deserved 5star rating and review
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just want to thank you, ***** ***** it , and guess what found the wires where cut from it and dropped on ground after changing. Reason why was not reading it. Hey killed two birds with one stone , thanks Randall

well, that I would not have known but glad all worked out and.. thanks for the followup with me on this!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
55357;�
Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech