Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

It is a 2003 VUE all wheel drive, and it makes a whining…

It is a 2003...

It is a 2003 VUE all wheel drive, and it makes a whining sound when turning. I cannot readily see where to check the power steering fluid level. This is my mom's car and I am trying to help find out what is wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

I don't know when the level was last checked. My in-laws got the car for my mom in October 2017. It makes a whining noise when turning the wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to see if simply adding power steering fluid might help, but am not sure where that can be checked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, thank you.

2/21/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Give me a few minutes to upload picture of where to check for you, thanks.

Do you have the V6 or 4 cylinder engine?

I am not sure. This is not my car. Looking at the engine I cannot tell how many cylinders it has for sure.
Can you just explain where to check for the power steering fluid level?

Can I get your vin number? This vehicle uses a electric power steering motor, not a pump.

It is 5GZCZ43D83S875584

Thanks, ***** ***** the 4 cylinder. Can you hear noise outside car or only inside?

Dan, the car is in my mom's garage, and it is 5 degrees here right now. I can't take it out for a test drive this minute. Can you tell me if it is possible to check the power steering fluid level now? If not, I will sign off.

There is no power steering fluid, it is a electric motor that does not use fluid.

OK, thank you.

N​o problem, I'm happy to help. It sounds like electric motor could be on the way out which is about a $500 repair at a shop. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Ever get it figured out? Let me know if you need anything. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer, 5 star rating is appreciated.

Dan, Technician