Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I stopped by a shop to see why the check engine light came…

I stopped by a...

I stopped by a shop to see why the check engine light came on because my 2008 Saturn outlook is running fine. He ran a diagnostic report and it said it was my emissions. Curious if I can continue to drive until I can save the money to take it in.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlook yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not fixing it myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

We had a wind storm followed by a day of rain, the wind blew lots of pine pollen it was thick on my car. the next day is when the light came on.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/16/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Do you happen to have the "p-code" that pointed to an emissions system problem?

no, I stopped in a shop as it was opening, he told me the code was for emissions and that I would need to leave the car so they could figure it out.

Ok. That's not a problem. Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

If the problem does lie in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System, then it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. An EVAP problem will not affect engine performance or reliability in any way at all. It is strictly for emissions.

The EVAP System consists of dozens of parts and sensor, so definitely some diagnostic work will be needed. However, if you can me that "p-code" I can definitely narrow it down for you and even provide an estimate for the repair, if needed. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advanced, etc).

But, like I say, in the meantime... no worries driving at all.

Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Saturn Tech -