Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Saturn LW2 with a 3.0L V6, Automatic. The

Hi All, I have a 2000...
Hi All,
I have a 2000 Saturn LW2 with a 3.0L V6, Automatic. The issue I have is that the vehicle is stalling after about 3-5 MIn of starting. I have left it at idle and she just cuts out. Sometimes she starts right away and other times she will not restart until I let it sit for a while. There are no codes in the computer and I'm pretty sure that it is either a crank sensor or a cam sensor but don't know how to test them. One other issue that may be related is that the locks lock and unlock on there own periodically and the horn beeps at random intervals. Has anyone come across this kind of issue and if so what did you do?
2/15/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Okay, so this issue is tough to find. You need to be ready to check for spark at the plugs and check fuel pressure at the time it occurs. The tools needed for this are available at your local parts store.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

I have an associates in autmotive science. That being said i dont have the scan tool available to check the signal from the crank or camshaft. I know that the car will start and run when one of them are bad but not the other. As far as i can tell i loose signal to the plugs and fuel injectors. Fuel pump is good. So i was pretty sure that one of those 2 sensors are the culprit. The only other question is does this car have a security system that maybe causing this issue? (IE: the horn and lock issue) I have little history and no owners manual to check.

Lots of possibilities that you are aware of now. The tools needed are a scan tool and a lab scope. There is no guessing with something like this. I can provide you with many waveforms to review if you have a scope. My 46 years of experience taught me to test, test and test:) with my thousands of dollars worth of needed equipment.

I’ve been in the auto repair industry since 1975 and have made many improvements over
the years pertaining to proper repairs. I also share this knowledge in the classrooms I
instruct in around the country, teaching for large companies who offer high-end training
to repair shop technicians.
It all starts with listening to the customer’s complaint, confirming it and finally doing all
the needed tests to locate the problem. All these tests require thousands of dollars worth
of specialized equipment that were designed and produced for the professional
technician. So when I recommend something for you to do, though it may seem silly to
you, please trust that I’ve “been there and done that” before. Getting a baseline is critical.
Once this is done, then I confirm what I have found wrong instead of throwing parts at it,
to be sure the problem I see is NOT camouflaged by something else.
Just like when you go to the doctor’s office for a visit, they take all your vital signs such
as; blood pressure, body temperature, weight, pulse etc.
This is my approach as well, except with the cars vital signs instead. I do everything
possible to NOT leave any stones unturned because it can cause you to misdiagnose the
problem or chase your tail.
I see so many people replace everything between the bumpers to no avail and spend
money they could have saved, if they only paid for a good diagnosis.
Sad to say, I even see people offering help to someone else by just telling them what the
parts are they should replace. Ouch!! These cars are all high tech, no room for guesswork.
When the check engine light or any lights illuminate in the instrument cluster, something
is obviously wrong, and there is not a code reader on the planet that will tell you what’s
wrong, they will only give you a code that is related to the part/circuit in question. These
parts stores check codes for free, for what reason? Hmm!

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor