Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue. My wife drove it to work Monday…

I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue. My wife drove it to work Monday morning and it would not start in the afternoon. Got it home yesterday, it will crank, I hear the fuel pump start when I turn the key on, fuel pressure at the rail seems good. I guessing I have no spark, Not sure where to start checking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

It is a manual 5 speed, yes it does have a wheel lock feature.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your VUE yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am old enough to be familiar with distributors but don't know where to start troubleshooting on the solid state ignition system.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be a good starting point.

2/14/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

The next step will be check CKP signal , if we have no spark ? and these are intermittent

click on link to view location of ckp sensor ,crank shaft position sensor ?

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

CKP sensor DESCRIPTION of operation

CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW PDF FILE FOR YOUR REVIEW

I have the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder "ecotec" engine. I was hoping to fix it myself if possible.

ok no problem ,sorry ,we also have on the 2.2 liter a ckp ,click on ,ink to view location

and connector pin out

CKP description on the 2.2

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
The crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is a permanent magnet generator, known as a variable reluctance sensor. The CKP sensor produces an AC voltage of different amplitude and frequency. The frequency depends on the velocity of the crankshaft. The AC voltage output depends on the crankshaft position and the battery voltage. The CKP sensor works in conjunction with a 7X reluctor wheel attached to the crankshaft. The CKP sensor produces seven pulses for each revolution of the crankshaft. The pulse from the 10-degree notch is known as the sync pulse. The sync pulse is used to synchronize the coil firing sequence with the crankshaft position. The CKP sensor is used for ignition timing, the fuel injector timing, misfire diagnostics and tachometer display. The CKP sensor is connected tot he ECM by a signal circuit and a low reference circuit.

Ignition Control Module (ICM) and Ignition Coils

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would start with ckp first , it is a common issue on them ,CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW THE REMOVE AND REPLACE PROCEDURE

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat