Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 outlook that is having issues starting. I’ll…

Hi Pearl! I have...

Hi Pearl! I have a 2009 outlook that is having issues starting. I’ll get In the car and go to start it, but there will be absolutely no cranking or the engine trying to turn over. All the lights and accessories will function just fine though. It’s happened to me before and from what I’ve read the security lock system can cause issues? Is there a way for me to fix this situation? The car will start eventually but it’s very inconvenient

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

No code that I’m aware of

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlook yourself? What have you tried so far?

And when you try to start the car all the lights will come on, then go off. I’ve not done anything yet so far besides read about the issue online

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that about covers it

2/12/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Do you have a test light? If so then it is best to test at the small stud at the starter when the key is in the start position. If there is no power there, then we need to start checking other places such as the starter relay, or the neutral safety switch. If there is power at that stud then you likely need a new starter if the battery and cables to the starter from the battery are good.

The check engine light will come on yes. I’ve had this same issue before however, and if I let the car sit for about 15-30 minutes it will start right up. I’ve read that it could be something with the security lock system causing these issues?

When this happens, does the light flash in the dash?

Does it start if you use a different key?

It does not flash. And I only have one key for the vehicle.
I believe it’s the anti theft causing me to be unable to turn the vehicle on

Ok, please watch the security light next time. If you have many keys or other devices on your key ring that use a chip, remove those.

Also I suggest you get a new key made and add it to your vehicle. You should be able to program it by putting in your key, turning to run, take it out and put the new key in then starting it.

Ok, thank you. If this issue keeps happening do you know how to bypass the anti theft system? It’s not the first time this has happened. But I’d like to try and mitigate it happening in the future.

Bypassing is not easy as there are 2 parts to the system. First the chip in the key and second a sensor in the switch that measures rotation to make sure its turning. Bypassing opens a new can of worms.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Saturn Mechanic