Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Connected battery to wrong polarity...now wont turn over.

Customer Question
Connected battery to wrong...

Connected battery to wrong polarity...now wont turn over. All things work except no ignition, no radio. It says service vehicle and something about power steering

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

No whinning noises...all worked till I F'd up the hook up of new batterr

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2004 ion

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and looked over fuses that I can see through...nothing on the 30 or 40amp fuses look bad by visually inspecting

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Smelled initially and still a little bit like burnt fuse or wire...the wrong polarity connection was for about 20seconds

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Saturn
1/16/2018
Saturn Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Reversing polarity can instantly damage any electrical component. In some cases fuses may just blow but there is a good possibility that several modules may be damaged.

The first thing that needs to be done is verify that all fuses are good. If you find the rest of the fuses are good then the next step will be to use a scan tool to see what modules do and don't communicate. Any that don't communicate will need their powers and grounds checked, and if ok then the affected module would need to be replaced. It sounds as if you at least will most likely need a radio, powertrain control module and power steering control module.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.