Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently bought a used 2004 Saturn Ion that I assumed had…

Customer Question
I recently bought a...

I recently bought a used 2004 Saturn Ion that I assumed had a bad ignition switch. The guy that I bought it from had literally everything removed from the steering column. I replaced the ignition switch and put it back together. Then the key would not turn at all. I took it back apart and manually pushed in the steering wheel lock to turn the key. The car would start but then die because the relearn procedure wad not yet done for the ignition switch. I removed the ignition lock cylinder and saw that a piece was missing which was causing the cylinder to be stuck in the off position. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder and that brought me to my current issue. When I turn the key to on nothing happens. No dinging noise, no check engine light, no seat belt light, no passlock light and the engine won't even crank over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It doesn't come on at all now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I've checked all the fuses and relays. I briefly unhooked the battery. I also tried taking parts from the new lock cylinder and putting them in the old one. Since it would at least start with the old one, I thought that might be the issue but still nothing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Saturn
1/13/2018
Saturn Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. I am unsure what happened , I have to check some things, meantime I need a FULL list of what is not working, wipers, lights, brake lights on and on, LMk thanks

Everything seems to be working except the dash "warning lights." They were coming on before and the car would start for a few seconds. I have not done the relearn procedure since replacing the ignition switch though. Now since replacing the ignition lock cylinder, the only thing on the dash that comes on is the odometer. I just got cold and frustrated, came inside for the night, and I had a random thought that maybe the battery is no longer strong enough. I'll hook it up to my charger/tester tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

Not looking back at all you wrote but did you check the fuses? after all this happened?

when you are back out we need to backtrack on soem fuses and having at least a testlight will help when we do this,

I figured out after many hours of checking things, that the "new" ignition switch was bad. Now I'm trying to do the anti theft relearn procedure. Not sure if I'm doing it right. I thought the passlock light was supposed to stay blinking for about ten minutes. It blinks a few times and then stays solid. It doesn't go out after ten minutes either.

can you explain step by step how you are doing the relearn

Attempt to start car, leave key in on position for ten minutes, turn key off for at least five seconds, repeat two more times.

so you are turning key off at 10 minutes>? have you waited past the first 10 min to see if light goes out

I waited an extra two minutes once and light still did not go out.
The car also will not shift out of park now. Don't know if that is related or not.

I do not know. maybe needed to wait longer for light to go out, I am unsure so I am going to opt out and open the post back up to the other experts

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician