Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Won't start. Battery full charged, just replaced ignition…

Customer Question
Won't start Mechanic's Assistant:...

Won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery full charged, just replaced ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2005 Saturn ion coupe 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ion yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself i read it is common problem with ignition switch so i replaced the switch, did the reprogram procedure, but same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have full lights and full power, everything else appears to work

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Saturn
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/5/2018
Saturn Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you checked power at the starter yet when trying to start?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, i haven't checked power to starter.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the car started and ran fine until it got cold outside, then i came out and turned the key. everything lights up but doesn't crank. i read on internet is was ignition switch, a common problem and easy fix. so i replaced the switch and did the security procedure. still getting same results

Ok check power at starter main wire and signal wire while someone tries to start and let me know what voltages you get

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i'm here alone, and the car is surrounded by 3ft of snow lol. if the starter was getting any power at all wouldn't it at least click?

not if it completely bad no

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it appears i'm getting no power to starter

is this at both wires with key in start position ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
both wires, someone else turning key like they're starting the car

oh thats not good so the main wire and signal wire are out, what engine is in this? then I can get the proper things to check

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oooohhh, don't say that lol.... it's the 2.2l 4cyl (4a?)

Ok check for power and contunity with key on at ign fuse 11 and crank fuse 46 underhood and clutch brake fuse in the interior dash panel

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician