Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Saturn lw200. Weather dropped below zero and…

Customer Question
Hi my name's ***** *****...
Hi my name's ***** ***** I have a 2002 Saturn lw200. Weather dropped below zero and when went to start car was slow n labored then went to free and rather quiet. So i had my brother watch and verified that the belt was indeed spinning still and turning over. Seemed odd but battery was old and weak so replaced with brand new and still does the same...seems as tho it turns over but Mabey not everything turning over?..any ideas?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Saturn
12/27/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Ok sweet thx

If engine is still turning over slow with a new battery then it sounds like starter is getting weak. Use a multimeter and access wires going to starter, each wire should show at least 11v with key in start position and starter case should have good ground. If power/ground is good at starter then it needs to be replaced. Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2t666avw2p5hi2v/smrr.pdf?dl=0

Ok I'll check that out but is there any possibility of something broken and not spinning? Seems as tho it does turn over at ok speed and belt is turning but its quiet and odd as if actual crankshaft etc not spinning

If belt is turning then engine is turning over. Worst case the timing chain broke which would make engine feel like it is turning too easily and too fast. To verify this is the problem you would need to do a compression test, if compression is under 100 psi on any cylinder then you likely have a broken timing chain. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Ok that sounds like good possibility then. Is there any other way to test without compression gauge?

No, that is only good way to test but if it seems to turn over really easy and spin fast then that is most likely the situation. The timing chains are these engines are somewhat common to fail. It is about a $1000 repair to have done at a shop or if you do it yourself it will take about 5-6 hours and $200. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks again and please do not forget to rate answer.

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.