Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

It will not shift into reverse when warm and shifts at wrong

Customer Question
times JA: How old is the...
It will not shift into reverse when warm and shifts at wrong times
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: no leaking don't know the age just got it last month was told by past owner that he put the wrong Transmission Shaft Speed Senson on it
JA: What is the model/year of your Saturn?
Customer: 1999 sl
JA: Are you fixing your SL yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced shift cable and shift control unit inside car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Saturn
11/21/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 26 days ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

if you jack the vehicle up off the ground and disengage the shift cable at the transmission do you get reverse when mannualy shifting it at the trans? have you checked fluid yet? are you getting a check engine light?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Don't know on the 1st question. Checked the fluid it had to much so we drained some out. Yes I do have check engine light

You may have some codes in the computer that will help us determine if something more is going on in the trans , do you have access to a scanner?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I can get access to one in the morning
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Would a wrong or failing Transmission Shaft Speed Sensor cause the problems it is having

ok good let me know what the codes are, ill be on after lunch and we can go from there

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
ok do i just come back to this page

I dont think so let me look that up to be 100%, did it get damaged?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
no damage that I know of

yes you can access it from your email or your just answers account

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
The warmer the car the more problems Yesterday after driving parked it got back in in less than 5 mins it would not shift at all had to wait for the car to cool down before it would shift at all
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
thank you I will run the codes and post them as soon as I have them

sure thing! talk to you tomorrow!

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Codes - P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio P0706 Tranny Range Sensor A Circuit Range/ Performance
Saturn Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago

Ok so if your fluid level is good and the pan is clean , with the p0732 looks like you will need to have the pcm reprogrammed, the 706 should be just a secondary code caused by the 732 and after reprogrammed should go away as well

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
reprogramming will fix the tranny problems

It should yes, according to that code its not reading the sensors correctly and telling it the wrong thing to do because the programing is out of wack

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
will resetting the codes do it

no they will just come back, it should be programed

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician