Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

1 intake rocker arm has broken numerous ttimes. 1997 Saturn,

Customer Question
no.1 intake rocker arm has...
no.1 intake rocker arm has broken numerous ttimes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1997 Saturn , sohc
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced rocker several times
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: head was reworked prior to this
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Saturn
11/20/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Marty, ASE Certified Technician replied 27 days ago
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is***** than likely you have a bad hydraulic lifter on that cylinder or a cracked rocker shaft. Lubrication is also critical. Since the head was reworked I would expect the oil flow to be good but it should be verified. I'd replace the lifter and the rocker arm and the rocker shaft and verify proper lubrication.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
all been replaced
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How do rockers oil? There are no holes in shaft or rockers.

I don't have any factory info on the lubrication system. The lifters should lubricate through passages in the cylinder head. If there are no drillings in the rocker shafts or arms they would have to lubricate by the oil splash method.

Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician