Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

After charging the battery the nite before.in the morning

Customer Question
the battery barely starts the...
after charging the battery the nite before.in the morning the battery barely starts the vehicle.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2009 saturn aura
JA: Are you fixing your Aura yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: charging the battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: its a sealed battery. i do not know if the battery is bad or the alternator
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Saturn
11/19/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Pete, Saturn Mechanic replied 23 days ago
Pete, Saturn Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described it sounds like either the battery is weak not holding the charge or you have a parasitic battery drain/draw from an electronic in the vehicle draining the battery over night.

What has to be done here is charge up the battery then have it tested.A local parts store will test this free of charge.If the battery fails then it needs replaced.If the battery is found to be o.k. then you need to have a parasitic drain/draw test done to see which component is draining the battery.This is done with a multi meter.If you do not have this tool someone that does or a shop will need to do this testing.Below is the testing procedure for this.

O.k.,what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Saturn Mechanic