Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

Do you know about the air conditioner on a 2004 saturn ion

do you know about the air conditioner on a 2004 saturn ion
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2017
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

I am familiar with these, how may I help you with yours?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Well AC Compressor fuse has blown a few time last year . I was not sure if it was a wiring problem but did find the harness resting off the bracket on the engine that has the push type point zip tied to the harness on top fight side on valve cover. I did not see any damage to the wires but a few blown fuses later it stopped. So over a year has passed and just yesterday the compressor cycles on and off every minute twenty seconds and stays on for five seconds and them repeats the same time using a stop watch. I checked the refrigerant and is full and replaced the relay last year. I also spot checked the harness and moved it around with no change. I tried to bypass the pressure switch using a paper clip but found the car does not crank with that inserted (shade tree told me) . The car has 238,000 miles with original compressor.Thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** model the pressure switch sends varying voltage to the PCM to engage/disengage the relay instead of the older types that were just an on/off type.

with that said this model is also difficult to diagnose without a bidirectional scan tool. It can see if there is an AC request or not and command ac on in order to check the wiring.

You'd be best served to spend an hours diagnostic time to have a shop check this one. I'll post the diagnostic procedure below so you can see what's involved.

With it short cycling and blowing fuses it's likely a harness issue from the relay to compressor. You could check those wires with an ohm meter while wiggling the harness. I'll post the electrical diagram below as well.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
okay thanks..i bet its expensive to run a diagnostics on it isnt it?and what kind of place do i bring it to

Depending on your location it should be 80-125.00 for the hour. You might be best served going to an auto electric shop. They will have the equipment and usually be more affordable than a dealer. If you go to a regular independant shop look for one who has an employee that is ASE certified in either HVAC or auto electrical systems.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
but if i go to independaent shop they ahve to have a diagnostic machine right?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
when i call these places i just ask hem can they do a dianostics on my air..?im so clueless on this lol

Yes, all of the newer professional level scan tools will have the capabilities required.

Yes, explain to them briefly it's blown fuses in the past, is currently fully charged but short cycles. This will give them a jump start on diagnostics and in turn save you money.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
okay thanks..sure was hoping we could figure it out.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
just wanted to verify that it hasnt popped fuses since last year..and the very last time it acted up was about 5 months ago..and it did the same thing. it would be cooling then it would stop..then when my hubby looked at it he jsut moved the harness and it started working and has worked every since until now..but no popped fuses..so weird that its doign the same thing as last time but moving the wire this time didnt work..

More than likely the wire has a break in it. You could use an ohm meter to check it from the compressor clutch to the relay socket to confirm

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
just wnated to give you a update..i went to air place and it only took him 5 mins.and he said its the cooling fan whihc im assuming thats the same thing as the raditor fan.and didnt even charge me..we have changed this before but its been awhile.so when i called oriellys he said they ahve a 12 in and 14 in for 2004 saturn ion so how do i know which i need
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
do i get the whole assembly or jsut the fan

Good, to know you found an honest tech to help. They must be trying to sell you an aftermarket fan. What you want is the whole assembly as seen HERE on amazon or HERE at Oreilly

Below is info on replacing it

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
okay so ther eis only one size?he said he ahd a 12 and a 14 is there such a thing and is there a difference
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
but i found one on ebay for 60 bucks..and its new
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
free shipping amazon wanted 10 dollar shipping unless you join that prime thing

Yes, there's only one size. I would go with the ebay deal.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician