Saturn

Saturn Repair Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Saturn

When you start it the rear latch clicks half open and then…

Customer Question
When you start it...

When you start it the rear latch clicks half open and then it says liftgate open

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Its the latch

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Saturn?

2007 outlook

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlook yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I think the open button must be sticking and sometimes it wont unlatch at all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Saturn
10/18/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

When it does this, are you able to shut the liftgate and it stay shut at that point or does it pop open again

50/50 some times it stays latched and sometimes it wont open at all unless you turn the car off then on again. It is a manual gate not a powered lift

HI,

Ok, the combination of it unlatching on its own at times and at times not unlatching, means that the issue is a faulty latch itself. You can try spraying some PB Blast into the latch, but most likely it will need to be replaced.

If you are wanting to replace it yourself, directions are attached

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I am more inclined to believe the contacts are sticking in the palm button. Is this common?

It is possible for the button to be bad, but it is far more common for the latch to be bad. without inspecting both hands on, I cannot tell you which of the two, only which is the most common

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager