Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Saturn that was donated to us at Wounded

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 Saturn that was donated to us at Wounded Warriors they we want to fix and give to a returning disabled veteran. The problem is it won't crank unless I put the charger on 50 amps. Has a good battery and a new starter. and ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

Yes when is starts on 50 amps, runs like a champ

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '02 Saturn?

Title says SSL

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are going to try to fix it ourselves. If it has to go to a shop it kind of defeats the purpose. We try to save as much as we can on these cars

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Saturn
10/5/2017
Saturn Mechanic: david craig, Saturn Mechanic replied 10 months ago
david craig
david craig, Saturn Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is the problem that it won't crank or wont start?

it will do both. But it will only start when we connect the battery charger at 50 amps
any ideas?

if thats the case the battery is bad.

it doesnt have enough cranking amps

battery is a brand new diehard

then the cables are corroded art the battery or starter. corrosion= resistance. resistance= voltage drop. check the connections on the starter and make sure they are clean.

already did that....cleaned and tight

ok, the ONLY reason the vehicle will not start unless you have it on 50 amp engine start is 1. battery 2. cables. thats it. corrosion can exist under the insulation of the cables also.

Ill send you a diagram of the starting system

is this an 02 sl200 or 300?

forget it. we will take it to a shop

and they will tell you the same thing.

replace the positive and negative battery cables and save yourself some money

we shall see. thanks for your help though...have a good day

good luck