Saturn

Saturn repair problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 99 model saturn is cranking but not starting. can you…

Customer Question
My 99 model saturn...

My 99 model saturn is cranking but not starting. can you help me

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

I had added fuel in the tank, i have checked the sparkplug gaps, and they are good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '99 Saturn?

Sl2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, i changed the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was lying idle for almost a year

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Saturn
10/5/2017
Saturn Mechanic: Pete, Saturn Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Pete, Saturn Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you tested for spark or fuel pressure at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

how to check spark and fuel pressure,
i can't pay any more

You would remove a spark plug wire and obtain a spark tester and install it into the spark plug wire end.Then crank over the engine with the tester grounded to see if it has spark.If there is no spark most common is the ignition control module located under the ignition coil pack needing replaced.

As for fuel pressure you would need to rent or obtain a fuel pressure test gauge from a local parts or tool store.Your fuel pressure should be between 40 and 55 psi.If any lower then I suspect the pump is faulty needing replaced.The fuel pressure test gauge either installed to the fuel inlet feed line at the fuel injector rail or your fuel injector rail will have a port to thread this tester onto to test the pressure.

The most common cause for this issue is the fuel pump or the ignition control module needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete